Passenger Link – October 2023
Caterpillar Visitors Center Free Entry Opportunity in October
CityLink and the Doug Oberhelman Caterpillar Visitors Center are partnering for the month of October to offer a free entry opportunity for CityLink, CityLift, and CountyLink passengers who present a bus pass or ticket for one of these services. Passengers simply show their bus pass/ticket at the admission desk to gain free general entry to the Caterpillar Visitors Center and its exhibits. One bus pass/ticket is required per adult, and children ages 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
Below is the list of accepted bus passes/tickets:
- CityLink Day Pass – $3 per pass
Offers unlimited fixed route rides for one complete service day
- CityLink 30-Day Pass – $40 per pass
Offers unlimited fixed route rides for 30 consecutive service days
- CityLift Ticket – $2 per ticket
Offers one ride on the paratransit service and this service requires eligibility to ride
- CountyLink/CAUSE Ticket – $6 per ticket
Offers one ride on the rural transportation service and this service requires that a trip begins or ends in the rural part of Peoria County
Current admission prices for the Caterpillar Visitors Center are $7.00 for general admission, $6.00 for seniors aged 55+, veterans and active military. Children aged 12 and under are free (limit of 4 children per 1 adult ticket). The Caterpillar Visitors Center is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., with the last entry at 3:30 p.m. For information on the visitors center, please call 309-675-0606 or go to www.visitcaterpillar.com.
There will be an additional free entry opportunity for CityLink, CityLift, and CountyLink passengers at the Peoria Riverfront Museum in December. More information on this partnership will be shared soon on CityLink’s social media pages and website.
The Caterpillar Visitors Center is located at 110 SW Washington Street, Peoria, IL 61602. It is a short five-minute walk from the CityLink Transit Center, located at 407 SW Adams, and there is close access to the visitors center on the #2 North Adams and #4 Sheridan CityLink fixed routes. For questions regarding CityLink, CityLift or CountyLink services, please call 309-676-4040 or visit www.ridecitylink.org.
Stuff-A-Bus Food Drive 2023
The 36th Annual Stuff-A-Bus food drive is happening Oct. 20-Nov. 29, 2023 and the goal this year is to break another record and collect 13 tons of food!
For the past 36 years, CityLink has hosted the Stuff-A-Bus food drive to help eliminate hunger in Peoria. With a long partnership with Kroger to collect enough food to stuff a classic CityLink bus, the donations collected during the annual food drive benefit the food pantry at the Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service. Also participating as longtime partners in the food drive are Cumulus Radio, WYZZ Fox 43, WMBD CBS 31, CIPROUD.com, and the Amalgamated Transit Union #416.
Donations can be dropped off at all Kroger store locations in Peoria and East Peoria. Other drop off locations will be listed on the CityLink website at www.ridecitylink.org/about/stuff-a-bus.
Other important dates for passengers to take note of during the 2023 Stuff-A-Bus campaign:
- November 1: Ride Free Day – Passengers ride free on CityLink buses with the donation of a non-perishable food item.
- One donation is required per ride.
- November 8: Ride Free Day – Passengers ride free on CityLink buses with the donation of a non-perishable food item.
- One donation is required per ride.
- November 15: Calendar Day – The public can receive a free 2024 Peoria Historical Calendar in exchange for a donation of non-perishable food at the Transit Center or CityLink administrative offices starting at 8 a.m.
- November 17: Day of Stuffing – Will take place at the Kroger store located at 801 W. Lake Ave. in Peoria from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. WMBD/WYZZ-TV and Peoria Cumulus Radio stations will broadcast live from the store parking lot inviting people to come to the store and make a donation to help stuff the CityLink bus. Television and radio personalities and other special guests will be on hand during the event.
- November 29: Weigh-In Day Press Conference – The final weight of the food collected will be revealed at a press conference at the Peoria Friendship House at 10 a.m.
Please visit facebook.com/stuffabuspeoria for the most up-to-date information on this year’s food drive.
Recent Events and Happenings
GPMTD hosted the 2nd Annual ADA WOW! CELEBRATION & RESOURCE FAIR on Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at the Peoria Civic Center. The GPMTD ADA Committee, chaired by GPMTD Board Trustee Patti Sterling Polk, spearheaded this event.
The event was FREE to the public and was a celebration of the 33rd Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and offered valuable resources to the local ADA community. Vendors were available to provide information on their services and products and hand out free giveaways to attendees. CityLink, CityLift, and CountyLink also had vehicles on-site to showcase their accessibility features. Thank you to the vendors/resources for participating!
Plans are already in the works to host this event in 2024 at the Peoria Civic Center! More details will be shared next year.
A new bus wrap on CityLink bus 2245 celebrating Black culture and diversity in Peoria was unveiled on Juneteenth (June 19, 2023) at the Minority Business Development Center. The bus wrap artwork was designed by local artist Brenda Pagan, in partnership with the Peoria Guild of Black Artists (PGOBA), and with the assistance of ArtsPartners of Central Illinois.
ArtsPartners of Central Illinois connected CityLink to the Peoria Guild of Black Artists, and a call for entry was placed for members of PGOBA to submit bus wrap designs for CityLink to review. Three members of PGOBA submitted bus wrap design proposals for consideration, and ultimately Pagan’s design was selected as the winning proposal. This wrap will remain on bus 2245 until Juneteenth in 2024.