For the past 33 years, CityLink has hosted the Stuff-A-Bus food drive to help eliminate hunger in Peoria. Donations collected benefit the food pantry at the Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service. The Peoria Friendship House provides 350 meals weekly to those dealing with hunger. The food drive is being hosted differently this year due to COVID-19 restrictions. The 2020 Stuff-A-Bus Committee has chosen not to collect any physical donations to load onto the vintage bus. Instead, our goal is to collect $10,000 in donations towards the purchase of non-perishable food. The campaign will take place October 23, 2020-December 1, 2020. Below are the ways that you can donate to this year’s food drive:
- Rounding up your purchase to the next dollar amount while shopping at participating Kroger locations from October 23, 2020 until December 1, 2020.
- Making an additional voluntary donation at the register while shopping at participating Kroger locations from October 23, 2020 until December 1, 2020.
- Donating online directly on the Peoria Friendship House website at www.friendship.house.
- Look for a specific option to donate for Stuff-A-Bus when the food drive begins on Oct. 23.
The participating Kroger stores include all stores located in Peoria and the store location in East Peoria.
- Kroger store located at 9219 N. Lindbergh Dr, Peoria, IL 61615
- Kroger store located at 801 W. Lake Ave, Peoria, IL 61614
- Kroger store located at 3311 N. Sterling Ave, Peoria, IL 61604
- Kroger store located at 201 S. Main St, East Peoria, IL 61611
Kroger has been the grocery store partner for Stuff-A-Bus for many years. Cumulus Radio, WYZZ Fox 43, WMBD CBS 31 and CIPROUD.com are the media partners in this food drive. The Amalgamated Transit Union Local #416 is also a long-time participating sponsor of Stuff-A-Bus.
The Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service was established in 1951 as a response to the great need for assistance to individuals and families living in deep poverty. Peoria Friendship House provides valuable services such as food, medical assistance, youth education, adult education, employment preparation, and finance and employment coaching, while encouraging lasting change for those it serves. Their Advocacy, Coaching, Education and Support approach provides wrap-around services supported by short and long-term coaching for both the Latino and English-speaking communities. The staff at the Peoria Friendship House are dedicated to providing hope and guidance that offers a “hand-up” rather than handout.
Peoria Friendship House forms collaborations with community partners to provide resources outside of their agency. For further information on Peoria Friendship House programs, please call 309-671-5200 or visit their website at www.friendship.house. The Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service is proud to be a Heart of Illinois United Way Community Partner.
For the most up-to-date information on the food drive, please visit and like the official Stuff-A-Bus Facebook page. If you would like to get involved in this year’s food drive, please contact Emily Watson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RECOMMENDED FOOD DONATIONS
- Protein – Canned Meat, Beef Stew, Tuna, Canned Chili, Peanut Butter, Canned and Dried Beans
- Fruits & Vegetables – Canned Fruit, Canned Vegetables, Canned Soup, Fruit Juices, Jelly
- Carbohydrates – Pasta, Rice, Instant Potatoes, Macaroni & Cheese, Cereal, Pancake Mix, Oatmeal, Cake Mixes
- Dairy – Canned Milk, Instant Pudding