The 32nd Annual Stuff-A-Bus food drive to benefit the Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service officially wrapped up on Tuesday, December 3. The campaign began on October 24 and concluded with a press conference at the Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service to announce the total weight of the bus filled with the food collected during the campaign.
The total weight of the food collected on the bus during the campaign was 14,440 pounds or 7.22 tons. An additional 550 pounds of donations were donated directly to the Peoria Friendship House. The total weight of donations collected during this year’s Stuff-A-Bus food drive totaled 14,990 pounds or 7.5 tons.
For the past 32 years, CityLink has hosted the Stuff-A-Bus food drive to help eliminate hunger in Peoria. With a long partnership with Kroger to collect enough food to stuff a classic CityLink bus, the donations collected during the annual food drive benefit the food pantry at the Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service. Since January of this year, the Peoria Friendship House food pantry has provided meals weekly to 40-50 families who are dealing with hunger in Peoria.
Other organizations and businesses that volunteered their time, resources and/or collected food include:
- The Amalgamated Transit Union Local #416;
- B20 Club in Illinois;
- Chronicle Media;
- CityLink administrative staff;
- effectv, A Comcast Company;
- Cumulus Radio staff and listeners;
- Family Dollar located on Harmon Highway in Peoria;
- Family Dollar located on Derby in Pekin;
- First Baptist Church of Peoria;
- Ghostbusters of Central Illinois;
- Methodist College;
- Mt. Moriah Missionary Baptist Church in Peoria;
- MV Transportation;
- OneFire Media;
- Peoria Chiefs;
- Peoria Fire Explorers Program;
- Peoria Mustangs;
- Peoria Police Explorers Program;
- Peoria Riverfront Museum; Peoria
- Susan G. Komen Memorial Affiliate Komen Café;
- Tazewell County Resource Center;
- Tricoci University of Beauty Culture in Peoria;
- City of West Peoria administrative staff and residents;
- WMBD/WYZZ staff and viewers
Cumulus Radio, WYZZ Fox 43, WMBD CBS 31 and CIPROUD.com were media partners in this food drive. The Amalgamated Transit Union Local #416 is also a long-time participating sponsor of Stuff-A-Bus.
The Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service was established in 1951 as a response to the great need for assistance to individuals and families living in deep poverty. Friendship House provides valuable services such as food, clothing, youth education, adult education, employment preparation, and finance and employment coaching, while encouraging lasting change for those it serves. Their Advocacy, Coaching, Education and Support approach provides wrap-around services supported by short and long-term coaching for both the Latino and English-speaking communities. The staff at the Peoria Friendship House are dedicated to providing hope and guidance that offers a “hand-up” rather than handouts.
Peoria Friendship House forms collaborations with community partners to provide resources outside of their agency. For further information on Friendship House programs call 309-671-5200 or visit their website at www.friendship.house. The Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service is proud to be a Heart of Illinois United Way Community Partner.
For the most up-to-date information on the food drive, please visit and like the official Stuff-A-Bus Facebook page. If you would like to get involved in this year’s food drive, please contact Emily Watson at email@example.com.
RECOMMENDED FOOD DONATIONS
- Protein – Canned Meat, Beef Stew, Tuna, Canned Chili, Peanut Butter, Canned and Dried Beans
- Fruits & Vegetables – Canned Fruit, Canned Vegetables, Canned Soup, Fruit Juices, Jelly
- Carbohydrates – Pasta, Rice, Instant Potatoes, Macaroni & Cheese, Cereal, Pancake Mix, Oatmeal, Cake Mixes
- Dairy – Canned Milk, Instant Pudding