The 31st Annual Stuff-A-Bus food drive to benefit the Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service officially wrapped up on Tuesday, December 4. The campaign began on October 25 and concluded with a press conference at the Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service to announce the total weight of the bus filled with the food collected during the campaign.
The total weight of the food collected on the bus during the campaign was 19,200 pounds or 9.6 tons. An additional 1,420 pounds of donations were collected in a CityLink van. The total weight of donations collected during this year’s Stuff-A-Bus food drive totaled 20,620 pounds or 10.31 tons.
For the past 31 years, CityLink has hosted the Stuff-A-Bus food drive to help eliminate hunger in Peoria. With a long partnership with Kroger to collect enough food to stuff a classic CityLink bus, the donations collected during the annual food drive benefit the food pantry at the Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service. Since January of this year, the Peoria Friendship House food pantry has provided meals weekly to 40-50 families who are dealing with hunger in Peoria.
Other organizations and businesses that volunteered their time, resources and/or collected food include:
- The Amalgamated Transit Union Local #416
- B20 Club in Illinois; Chronicle Media
- CityLink administrative staff
- Cumulus Radio staff and listeners
- Family Dollar located on Harmon Highway in Peoria
- Family Dollar located on Derby in Pekin
- First Baptist Church of Peoria
- Fix My Gadget locations in Peoria, Peoria Heights and Pekin
- Ghostbusters Peoria
- Methodist College
- Mt. Moriah Missionary Baptist Church in Peoria
- MV Transportation
- OneFire Media
- Peoria Disposal Company
- Peoria Chiefs
- Peoria Fire Explorers Program
- Peoria Mustangs
- Peoria Police Explorers Program
- Peoria Public Works
- Peoria Riverfront Museum
- Peoria Rivermen
- Susan G. Komen Memorial Affiliate
- Tazewell County Resource Center
- Tricoci University of Beauty Culture in Peoria
- City of West Peoria’s administrative staff and residents
- WMBD/WYZZ staff and viewers
Cumulus Radio, WYZZ Fox 43, WMBD CBS 31 and CIPROUD.com were media partners in this food drive. The Amalgamated Transit Union Local #416 is also a long-time participating sponsor of Stuff-A-Bus.
The Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service was established in 1951 and it has made a powerful difference in the Near North side and the East Bluff neighborhoods of Peoria. It was founded as a response to the great need for assistance to individuals and families living in deep poverty. The Peoria Friendship House provides valuable services such as food, clothing, youth education, adult education, employment preparation, and finance and employment coaching, while encouraging lasting change for those it serves. Their Advocacy, Coaching, Education and Support approach provides wrap-around services supported by short and long-term coaching for both the Latino and English-speaking communities. The staff at the Peoria Friendship House are dedicated to providing hope and guidance that offers a “hand-up” rather than handouts.
The Peoria Friendship House forms collaborations with community partners to provide resources outside of their agency. For further information on Peoria Friendship House programs call 309-671-5200 or visit their website at www.friendship.house. The Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service is proud to be a Heart of Illinois United Way Community Partner.
For the most up-to-date information on the food drive, please visit and like the official Stuff-A-Bus Facebook page at www.facebook.com/stuffabuspeoria. If you would like to get involved in next year’s food drive, please contact Emily Watson at email@example.com.
RECOMMENDED FOOD DONATIONS
- Protein – Canned Meat, Beef Stew, Tuna, Canned Chili, Peanut Butter, Canned and Dried Beans
- Fruits & Vegetables – Canned Fruit, Canned Vegetables, Canned Soup, Fruit Juices, Jelly
- Carbohydrates – Pasta, Rice, Instant Potatoes, Macaroni & Cheese, Cereal, Pancake Mix, Oatmeal, Cake Mixes
- Dairy – Canned Milk, Instant Pudding