GPMTD to Begin Transportation Pilot Paratransit Service with City of Washington Aug. 1, 2022
Beginning on August 1, 2022, the Greater Peoria Mass Transit District (GPMTD) is introducing a six-month pilot paratransit service in the City of Washington for their underserved urban area. This project is partially being funded by section 5310 Transportation Assistance Grant Program from the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT). The City of Washington and Washington Township are also helping to fund this project. The GPMTD paratransit service, CityLift, will be operating this service for individuals aged 18 to 59 based on their mobility challenges and disability.
Individuals needing this service are required to complete and submit a simple two-page application to Washington Township that requires a medical professional sign off verifying their handicap and need for paratransit service. Similar service for persons aged 60 and older is available through Central Illinois Agency on Aging, which can be reached at 309-674-2071.
“The new pilot CityLift door-to-door paratransit service beginning on August 1, 2022, will offer mobility challenged and persons with disabilities aged 18 to 59 with an alternative transportation option within the Washington urban area. This is an area underserved with transportation options and we are looking forward to Washington residents who qualify having the opportunity to live more independently by using this service operated by CityLift.”CityLink General Manager Doug Roelfs.
This pilot paratransit service will be evaluated in the coming months to determine feasibility and demand to continue the service.
Rates to Ride
Current rates to ride as Washington residents are as follows:
- Rides within the Washington Urban Map Area are $2.00 each way for residents
- Rides beyond the Washington Urban Area to include Sunnyland, East Peoria, and Peoria are $6.00 each way
- Disabled riders in the Sunnyland area who are already qualified to ride with CityLift, can fill out a Washington Rider application and send it to Washington Township to be eligible to ride to the Washington Urban Area for $6 each way
- Personal Care Assistants ride for free with the transit client
- Fare is cash only and due at the time of departure
Scheduling a Ride
- All rides must be scheduled at least one-day in advance, more notice is better
- To schedule a ride, contact CityLift at 309-999-3667
- Your application must be on file and approved to ride the CityLift paratransit service
The Washington Urban Paratransit Service operates 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday with the final pick-up, by no later than 5:30 p.m. There is no service on recognized holidays on which GPMTD does not provide service. Pick-up and drop-off times must take place within those hours to meet paratransit service availability.
For questions, please contact Washington Township at 309-444-2987. The required documents can be mailed to 58 Valley Forge Drive, Washington, IL 61571 or sent via fax to 309-444-3944.
To find out more information about Washington, Illinois CityLift service, please visit www.ci.washington.il.us or www.toi.org/township/tazewell-county-washington. Information is also available on the Washington Service page of this website.