Passenger Link – October 2022
CityLink Construction Project Update
Work on the new CityLink maintenance, operations, and administrative facilities (Phase B) construction project has really progressed over the past few months. The crew at River City Construction has formed the garage building low wall, installed insulation at the garage building low wall, and poured the garage building footings. They are also working on pouring the garage building footings & low wall and wrecking forms at garage building footings and low wall.
A new temporary tent structure has been erected at the CityLink facilities on NE Jefferson. The tent is acting as an additional storage space for buses & other vehicles while the new building is under construction. This will be especially helpful in the winter months, so buses don’t have to stay outside in poor weather conditions.
Work will continue this winter and Phase B is on target to be completed in summer/fall 2023. For all of the latest construction updates, please visit the CityLink blog at www.ridecitylink.org/blog.
The 35th Annual Stuff-A-Bus food drive is happening Oct. 28-Nov. 30, 2022, and the goal this year is to collect 11 tons of food!
For the past 35 years, CityLink has hosted the Stuff-A-Bus food drive to help eliminate hunger in Peoria. With a long partnership with Kroger to collect enough food to stuff a classic CityLink bus, the donations collected during the annual food drive benefit the food pantry at the Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service. Also participating as longtime partners in the food drive are Cumulus Radio, WYZZ Fox 43, WMBD CBS 31, CIPROUD.com, and the Amalgamated Transit Union #416.
Donations can be dropped off at all Kroger store locations in Peoria and East Peoria from Oct. 28 until Nov. 30. Other drop off locations are listed on the CityLink website at www.ridecitylink.org/about/stuff-a-bus.
Other important dates for passengers to take note of during the 2022 Stuff-A-Bus campaign:
- November 2: Ride Free Day – Passengers ride free on CityLink buses with the donation of a non-perishable food item.
- One donation is required per ride.
- November 9: Ride Free Day – Passengers ride free on CityLink buses with the donation of a non-perishable food item.
- One donation is required per ride.
- November 16: Calendar Day – The public can receive a free 2023 Peoria Historical Calendar in exchange for a donation of non-perishable food at the Transit Center or CityLink administrative offices starting at 8 a.m.
- November 18: Day of Stuffing – Will take place at the Kroger store located at 801 W. Lake Ave. in Peoria from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. WMBD/WYZZ-TV and Peoria Cumulus Radio stations will broadcast live from the store parking lot inviting people to come to the store and make a donation to help stuff the CityLink bus. Television and radio personalities and other special guests will be on hand during the event.
- November 30: Weigh-In Day Press Conference – The final weight of the food collected will be revealed at a press conference at the Peoria Friendship House at 10 a.m.
Please visit facebook.com/stuffabuspeoria for the most up-to-date information on this year’s food drive.
Free Ride Opportunities in November 2022
In addition to the Stuff-A-Bus Free Ride Days being offered by CityLink on Nov. 2 and Nov. 9, CityLink, CityLift, & CountyLink services will be offering free rides opportunities on the following dates in November.
- Tuesday, November 8, 2022: Free rides for Election Day
- All three services resume fare collection as scheduled on Wednesday, November 9, 2022.
- Friday, November 11, 2022: Veterans Ride Free
- All three services resume fare collection as scheduled for veterans on Saturday, November 12, 2022.
WOW! ADA Celebration and Resource Fair Held on July 26
The Greater Peoria Mass Transit District (GPMTD) hosted the inaugural WOW! ADA CELEBRATION & RESOURCE FAIR on Tuesday, July 26, 2022, at the Peoria Civic Center. The GPMTD ADA Committee, chaired by GPMTD Board Trustee Patti Sterling Polk, spearheaded this event.
The event was FREE to the public and was a celebrate of the 32nd Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and offered valuable resources to the local ADA community. Vendors were available to provide information on their services and products and hand out free giveaways to attendees. CityLink, CityLift, and CountyLink also had vehicles on-site to showcase their accessibility features. Thank you to the vendors/resources for the participating in this inaugural event.
Visit the CityLink Facebook page at www.facebook.com/citylinkpeoria to view an album of photos from the 2022 WOW! ADA Celebration & Resource Fair. Individual vendor videos can also be viewed on the CityLink YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/citylinkpeoria.
New Full Bus Wraps
On July 25, 2022, CityLink participated in a full bus wrap unveiling for the PCCEO/Head Start program at their facilities on Sheridan. Thank you to General Manager Doug Roelfs, Director of Operations Ken Boddie, and bus operator Jacqueline for representing CityLink at this event!
The PCCEO/Head Start wrap is installed on bus 2240.
The Caterpillar Visitors Center in Downtown Peoria is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year and asked CityLink to have one of their wrapped buses participate in an event on October 13. Thank you to the Caterpillar Visitor Center for including CityLink in this event and adding wraps to two buses!
The Caterpillar Visitor Center Wraps are installed on buses 2212 and 2246.
Thank you for being our passenger!
You must be logged in to post a comment.